Here are some popular links, products, and articles that have appeared in our "5-Bullet Friday" e-mail newsletter, which is free and goes out every Friday.
- Stop Working Out So Much On Your "Rest Days" – Taking breaks, especially “active recovery” breaks from a workout is a critical component to get the most out of your training. “In fact, rest is necessary for progress. When you exercise—particularly when you do really intense stuff like training for a marathon or lifting heavy weights—you’re damaging your muscle fibers, which sometimes leads to that hurt-so-good soreness. And it’s really the rest and recovery that let you repair muscles, get fitter, and inch ever closer toward Bruce Banner status.”
- 10 Things That Happen to Your Body When You Walk - One of the best ways to incorporate “active recovery” into your fitness routine is to walk often throughout the day. Regular walking has incredible benefits on your health and wellbeing - and the good news... we obtain these benefits every day. According to the Mayo Clinic, regular brisk walking can help you maintain a healthy weight, prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease and high blood pressure, strengthen your bones and muscles, improve your mood, and improve your balance and coordination.
- Skip breakfast once in a while – On recovery days, consider skipping breakfast (black coffee or tea is fine). You probably don’t need the additional calories and it may actually be better for you than eating breakfast. It gives your body a break from digestion, re-sensitizes your hunger response and causes the body to go into clean-up mode (called autophagy), breaking down and eliminating dead and damaged cells. This article discusses the trend in skipping breakfast.
- Cool Stuff: Foam Roller - One of my favorite methods for reducing muscle soreness and improving range of motion post-workout is foam rolling. This is one of my favorite rollers, with trigger points that dig into tender spots. It’s a little uncomfortable but afterwards you will feel amazing!
- Featured Product: Beyond Training: Complete Fitness Recovery Program - “The Yang of training. The equal and opposite reaction.” Train hard, recover harder. We can teach you how.
Would you like to get a very short (five-bullet) e-mail from us every Friday with the five coolest things we’ve found that week?
It might include books, gadgets, products, articles, new hacks/tricks, and — of course — all sorts of weird stuff we dig up.
These “5-Bullet Friday” emails are only available if you subscribe to our e-mail newsletter.
Try it out for a week! Unsubscribing is easy, and there’s great stuff coming next Friday. Just submit your email address in the opt-in at the top of the page (or here) and you’re set.